Peanut Brittle without corn syrup

Jodie is on a Christmas baking tear this week. I just finished being her slave sous chef. She very much wanted to make some peanut brittle, but since we didn’t have any corn syrup we did a little extra hunting. It paid off, and she found this yummy recipe — with a bit of cinnamon and cayenne too — from Alton Brown and the Food Network:

Link: Recipes : Peanut Brittle : Food Network.

Get the first 3 chapters of Forever the Road

Sign up for Anthony's free email newsletter, typically 1-3 emails per month.
* = required field

powered by MailChimp!

Globetrotter, homebrewer and writer Anthony St. Clair has walked with hairy coos in the Scottish Highlands, choked on seafood in Australia, and watched the full moon rise over Mt. Everest in Tibet. Anthony’s travels have also taken him around the sights and beers of Thailand, Japan, India, Canada, Ireland, the USA, Cambodia, China and Nepal. He and his wife live in Oregon and gave their son a passport for his first birthday. Anthony's first Rucksack Universe e-book, The Martini of Destiny, is available now.

14 comments on “Peanut Brittle without corn syrup
  1. What do you know? I watch the Food Network a lot myself. Though I still eat too much take-out, surprisingly! :/

2. Funny thing is, I don’t watch the Food Network – we just happened to find it in Google. I hear about it all the time, but if it’s not from NetFlix, I’m not apt to be watching telly… though I may have to reconsider it once we catch up to Lost leaves off this season…

3. Jodie says:

A little update on this recipe…. It sucks. We tried it twice, and it didn’t work. Next time we will use a recipe with corn syrup (helps keep the sugar from crystalizing) and add the spices. That was the one good thing about it.

4. Carla says:

As much as I love Alton Brown, his dessert recipes often leave much to be desired. I have a great brittle recipe if you would like me to send it to you.

5. Jodie says:

Carla, Please do! This is on the list of stuff to make next year, we’ll just add the spices. :)

6. Gads, we should’ve thought of you first, Carla. Thanks!

7. Sharon says:

I’m living in China and we can’t find corn syrup for peanut brittle, although there are plenty of peanuts around. What can we substitute for the missing ingrediant?

8. I’ve been wondering that too – any ideas, on what you can use in place of corn syrup when making peanut brittle?

9. Steven says:

Look at making Peanut Brittle in the Indian (india) way. When I gave some Peanut Brittle to an Indian friend he said… Ahhh! Chikki! and showed it to his friends who also all said Chikki! I’ve never tasted Chikki though, but its worth a shot.
    Shengdana Chikki

10. Sounds interesting – what’s different about how you make it? Are there any links you could steer us to?

11. andy says:

was about to try this – but guess what – no peanuts, sugar or cayanne! got brown sugar and cashews, could be interesting :(

Hi.

Anthony St. Clair - Travel Fantasy Author / Craft Beer Writer / Business Copywriter

Author and copywriter Anthony St. Clair has specialized in online content since 2000, blogged since 2004 and is the author of the Rucksack Universe travel fantasy series.

100 Days to Forever

Travel. Destiny. Beer.

Forever the Road, the third Rucksack Universe book, is available Sept. 8, 2014.
days
hours
minutes
seconds

Follow the journey: #100DaysToForever

Get the first 3 chapters of Forever the Road

Sign up for Anthony's free email newsletter, typically 1-3 emails per month.
* = required field

powered by MailChimp!

Rucksack Universe

Travel fantasy tales
of wit, adventure & beer

Forever the Road by Anthony St. Clair, a Rucksack Universe Fantasy Novel - learn more and buy now

Home Sweet Road by Anthony St. Clair, a Rucksack Universe Fantasy Novella - learn more and buy now

The Martini of Destiny by Anthony St. Clair, a Rucksack Universe Fantasy Novella - learn more and buy now

Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.

%d bloggers like this: