New compact fluorescent bulbs make reading easier, save money

Back in my newspaper days, I enjoyed reading James Dulley’s well-written explanations of home improvements. Hmm, maybe that was a sign that I wasn’t as anti-homeowner as I thought. I’m planning to put these throughout the house, and  his article on compact fluorescent light bulbs, or CFLs, is a huge help:

Link: 936 – New compact fluorescent bulbs make reading easier, save money.

Many people know compact fluorescent lights (CFL’s) save money, but are not aware of the other benefits of high-quality special CFL’s. You will probably want to buy different quality CFL’s for various locations in your house. There are many shapes to fit any lamp or lighting fixture.

More links on CFLs:

s

8 thoughts on “New compact fluorescent bulbs make reading easier, save money”

1. I’ve had the same problem with full spectrum bulbs, they do take a while to warm up. But once they do they’re fantastic- and your plants will love them.

2. I’ve been using CF bulbs for awhile. There are a few places we don’t use them because they just look funny (ornamental light fixtures and such), but all of our lamps and about half of our fixtures have gone CF.
    I’ve seen ads for full-spectrum lamps and they were prohibitively expensive. I only recently discovered that full-spectrum *bulbs* were much more reasonably priced. I put one upstairs on my work desk, one by my favorite reading/lazy-working chair, and one next to my bed.
    Our first impression upon turning one on was “ewww, that’s so… blue!” After a few minutes under it, I went into another room and turned on an old-fashioned “soft white” light. “Eww, that’s so… YELLOW!”
    My work desk is next to a window upstairs, and the lamp (equipped with CF/FS bulb) is directly in front of the window. When I turn on the lamp, it’s like a sunlight magnifier. I turned it off late one afternoon and didn’t realize how dark it had gotten.
    I haven’t trolled your links yet, but I’m hoping to find a cheap bulk(ish) source for FS CFs.

3. I’ve been trying to read up on CFLs more overall, to see which types we’ll put where. I love the idea of the full-spectrums, especially in our famously gray climate.
    As far as Eugene goes, the Greater Goods shop on High between 5th & 6th has a great selection of high-quality bulbs. They are about $12.50 or so; I’ve picked up a couple so far for experiments, including some globe styles for one of the bathroom fixtures. Those have been amazing – it’s a 5-light strip, and the 2 CFLs outshine the 3 regular bulbs!

4. I have noticed on my Flood Lights that some CFL bulb brands will warm up very quickly (5 seconds or less) and other brands can take as long a minute to fully warmup! Is there a specification for this? How do I know if I am buying one that warms up fast or slow?

5. KD, I saw your post and have experienced the same issue. But I was just reading an article that talked about how it’s not the bulbs that take a long time to warm up, but the lamps themselves. This article said that lamps from 2000 or earlier in general will illuminate right away, while lamps newer than that will often have the awful delay period while the bulbs “warm up.” Isn’t that strange? Anyway, is that what you’re experiencing?

6. The lamps? Weird. I wonder what got changed.
    After over a year with full-spectrum CF bulbs all over the house, btw, we love ’em. Especially now, as it gets darker earlier and the sky goes overcast…