Feb. 13, 2014, Eugene Craft Beer Roundup
Oakshire Hellshire Day & Barrel-Aged Beer Fest, Feb. 15
After the love of Valentine’s Day, it’s time for some hell. Oakshire has dipped into their secret stash of barrel-aged beers, and through its mix of alchemy and brewmastery has concocted Hellshive IV, the fourth annual-release beer in the Eugene brewery’s Hellshire Series.
“This year we went into our barrel cellar and put together a blend of three different beers matured in bourbon and brandy barrels and made a blend that we really like,” explains Brewmaster Matt Van Wyk. “We started with Very Ill-Tempered Gnome as the base and made something akin to an Old Ale or Barleywine.”
Oakshire is celebrating the release not only with a day of Hellshire at the Oakshire Public House, but with a full-on Barrel-Aged Beer Fest, all on Sat., Feb. 15. In addition to purchasing Hellshire IV (limited to 6 bottles per person, please), you can sample not only other Oakshire barrel-aged beers, but also over 50 barrel-aged beers from brewers around the country:
- Breakside Barrel-Aged Blended Ale
- Gigantic Mervyn’s 24 Hour Sale (Imperial CDA aged in bourbon barrels)
- Hop Valley Oak-aged Barleywine
- Widmer Triple Threat (Imperial Stout aged in Pinot, Bourbon and American Oak barrels)
- 10 Barrel El Capitan (Imperial Pumpkin ales aged in Jamaican Rum barrels)
- Logsdon Cerasus (Flanders Style Red ale with tart cherries)
- Hopworks Army of Darkness (Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout)
- Double Mountain-Aging Experiment #16 (Oak-aged Sour Strong Ale)
- Crux Bandished Double Cross (Pinot Barrel-aged Belgian Dark Strong)
- Cascade Barrel-Aged Diesel Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout with vanilla beans
- Cascade Tawny Port Rum barrel aged Northwest spiced red ale
- The Commons Gin Enkel Belgian Table Beer aged in Old Tom Gin Barrels with apricots
- Upright Brewing Undercurrent (Strong Amber Saison aged in whiskey and wine with Brett)
- Mazama Port Barrel-Aged Grand Cru
- Ft. George North the VII (Bourbon Barrel-aged Belgian-Inspired IPA)
- McMenamin’s High Street Barrel-Aged Barleywine
- De Garde Double American Black Ale aged in Gin Barrels
- 2 Towns Bourbon Barrel Bad Apple Cider
- Nectar Creek Imperial Bourbon Barrel Wildflower Mead
- Anchorage Brewing Arctic Soiree
- The Lost Abbey Spontaneous Cheer (spontaneously fermented Wild Ale with white peaches)
- The Lost Abbey Angel’s Share Grand Cru (Blended Barrel-aged Strong Ale)
- Pizza Port Carlsbad Bourbon Barrel-Aged Night Rider (Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout)
- 5050 Barrel-Aged Eclipse Stout (Special Keg from Brewmaster Todd Ashman)
- Stone Red Wine Barrel-Aged Cali Belgique IPA
- Firestone Walker Sucaba Barrel-Aged Barleywine
- The Bruery Mélange #3 (Blend of 3 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Strong ales including White Oak Sap, Anniversary Series Old Ale, and Black Tuesday)
- Two Brothers Brewing-Midwestern Death Metal Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout with espresso and vanilla beans
- Haymarket Brewing Clare’s Thirsty Ale (Raspberry Imperial Stout aged in Woodford Reserve Barrels)
- Three Floyds Bourbon Barrel-Aged Behemoth Barleywine
- Half Acre Barrel-Aged Chub Step Porter (Aged in “Triple Smoke” Whiskey Barrels from Corsair Artisan Distillery)
- Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Barleywine
- Off Color brewing Dwandle (Scurry Dark Honey Ale) aged in second use BCBS barrels)
- Revolution Brewing Horizontal Tango (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Dubbel)
- Pipeworks Brewing Barrel-Aged Toasty Nut Abduction (Barrel-Aged Abduction Imperial Stout with cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, toasted coconut and almond)
- New Holland Brewing Dragons Milk (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout)
- Crooked Stave Batch #60 (American Wild Ale Dry-Hopped with Citra and Amarillo)
- Cigar City Brewing Kalevioeg at the Gates of Hell (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Baltic Porter)
Hellshire Day and the Barrel-Aged Beer Fest run Sat., Feb. 15, 2014, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Oakshire Public House, 225 Madison St., Eugene.
$15 entrance fee includes a Teku tasting glass and 5 tasting tokens. Live local bands and food carts will also be on site.
More info at oakbrew.com/hellshire/Hellshire
Zwickelmania Oregon Brewery Tour, Feb. 15
Meet brewers. Tour breweries. Sample your favorite Oregon beers. Sat., Feb. 15, 2014 is the next Zwickelmania, the free statewide event that lets beer lovers visit their favorite breweries and get to know some new favorites.
A free shuttle takes you around Eugene breweries throughout the day, with stops at:
- Rogue Public House & Track Town Ales
- Falling Sky Brewery
- McMenamins High St. Brewery
- Ninkasi Brewing
- Hop Valley Brewing
- Oakshire Brewing
There will also be a 10 a.m., $10 brunch at the Rogue Public House at 10th & Olive in downtown Eugene, reservations suggested: 541.345.4155.
When: Saturday, February 15th, 2014, 11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
More Zwickelmania beer events happening throughout Oregon, Learn more here »
The Filling Station Opens in Santa Clara
With so many growler stations opening in the Eugene/Springfield area over the last couple of years, it was high time that someone took a look at opening one in the River Road/Santa Clara area.
The Filling Station celebrated their grand opening on Jan. 31. At 2747 River Rd. (north of Irving Rd. in the Santa Clara area), customers can take home fresh craft beer, soda, cider, and wine from 36 taps.
Kegs are also available for sale and rental.
More info at www.the-fillingstation.com.